Updated social media image size guide (April 2015). I know sometimes it’s a hustle searching for the right size for all social media sizes, so I decided to write this article so you can save it and come back anytime.
Profile Picture – 400 x 400 (Displays 200 x 200)
Header Photo – 1,500 x 500
Your header photo is the image that spans the top of your Twitter profile page. It’s quite a bit larger than your profile photo so make sure to save it at the highest resolution possible. Since you have much more room to be creative with this picture, and since it will probably be the first place a visitor’s eyes will fall, make it something captivating.
- Recommended 1,500 x 500 pixels.
- Maximum file size of 10 MB.
- JPG, GIF, or PNG.
Find more information on profile and header photos at the Twitter Help Center.
In-Stream Photo – Minimum 440 x 220 (2:1 Ratio)
Twitter gives users the ability to attach photos to any of their tweets. However, when you attach a photo to a tweet, Twitter needs to create a separate link for that photo, so ultimately you have fewer characters to work with. The photos that you upload are going to appear in the streams of your followers and the streams of their followers should your photo get retweeted. Photos that are included in public tweets may also appear in certain Twitter search results.
It’s also important to note that Twitter may collapse your photo into a smaller version to fit seamlessly in a user’s stream. In order to make sure that Twitter is displaying the portion of the photo you want followers to see, make sure the width of your image fits the minimum requirements and that your content is horizontally centered.
- Minimum to appear expanded 440 x 220 pixels (a 2:1 ratio)
- Maximum to appear expanded 1024 x 512 pixels.
- Appears in stream collapsed at 506 x 253 pixels.
- Maximum file size of 5 MB for photos, and 3 MB for animated GIFs.
Find more information on in-stream photos at the Twitter Help Center.
Profile Picture – 180 x 180 (Displays 160 x 160)
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels.
- Photo will appear on page as 160 x 160 pixels.
- Photo thumbnail will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels.
Find more information on the profile photo at the Facebook Help Center
Cover Photo – 851 x 315
- Appear on page at 851 x 315 pixels. Anything less will be stretched.
- Minimum size of 399 x 150 pixels.
- For best results, upload an RGB JPG file less than 100 KB.
- Images with a logo or text may be best as a PNG file.
Find more information on the cover photo at the Facebook Help Center.